Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Just me and my language

    Few years ago me and my friends were spending vacation in Spain and France. it was a 2 week trip, during which we visited Paris and Barcelona. As much as I enjoyed Spain(Spanish people and their hospitality),I can't say the same thing about France. I couldn't speak French...actually I still can't....but I tried really hard to communicate at the reception of our motel. I decided to use my English so I politely asked the receptionist to use English. Not only was he offended, but he also suggested that this is his country, I'm the visitor and I should use his language. He didn't even try to switch into a different language....
What has this story got to do with the article in "The Observer"? I'd say a lot. Learning another language not only gives you knowledge about other countries and their culture, but it also makes you life easier and puts you in a good stead. Perhaps it was my fault as I didn't know the language well enough, I did however try to use French. The receptionist was too proud of his own language, country, culture to make an effort. In case of British students' who have the advantage(English as a global language)should not waste their pontential. Perhaps they will never need to use a different language, but by learning only one language, they prevent their own development. I'm glad that I have an opportunity to learn languages:I take pleasure in talking with my foreign friends, understanding what my favorite songs are about, reading books that are hard to find in my own language. I swear, if I ever start behaving like Polish was the only language, go ahead and give me a slap :P

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this - very heartfelt, and based on your personal experience. Just what I've been hoping for :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Karol - tam się nie wkleiło, więc dostaniesz teraz - < slap >

    ReplyDelete